A Sleepover With Srinidhi


.

               “Are you absolutely sure you told your parents?” I asked Srinidhi for what seemed like the one billionth time.  As with the other times, his answer was yes.  “Good, because I don’t want anyone thinking that I am holding you hostage!”  I replied jokingly.  All throughout the week, we had been planning a sleepover and finally it was here!  “Remember” I told him urgently, “You are being dismissed when they call out ‘Rumpf’, not ‘Shanmuganathan.’” 

                All throughout the day, we giddily discussed the events that were to occur, and how we were to go about doing them.  This process took up most of the school day, creating the illusion of time sliding away from our abysmally futile, grasping hands, as if encased in a thick coating of oil.  The day was gone as fast as a single, glistening, and awe-inspiring bolt of lightning vanishes after causing its fiery onslaught of damage, as if afraid of what it caused.  The next thing I knew, I was seated in my dad’s car, next to Srinidhi, in the back seat.

                In the car, we made lots of jokes and laughed a lot to pass the time.  At one point, we looked out the window and saw a sleek stretch limo with Srinidhi’s sister inside.  The idea of his sister in a limo made us crack up with laughter.  A while later, my dad brought the car, now filled with laughter, to a halt in the driveway of my house.  All three passengers exited the vehicle and entered the house.

                Once inside the house, I gave Srinidhi the “tour of the facilities”, including the location of my room, where the bathroom was, etcetera.  Then I proceeded to show him a current Lego structure I was in the process of creating: a fully functioning secret ninja hideout.  The creation included a working elevator, created with a winch and shaft, holding cells, a computer, and lots and lots of traps, security measures, and precautions; all of which were created using Lego bricks and my imagination.  Srinidhi liked the way the elevator doubled as a holding cell if sent to the bottom floor.  I showed him my other sets, but none seemed to dazzle him like the ninja hideout did.  Next, we played a multiplayer videogame, requiring great amounts of teamwork to reach the next level.  We were defeating a particularly difficult boss ghost, when the echoing shout of “DINNER!” reached our ears, accompanied by the enticing smell of delicious pizza.  We decided that our characters could wait a bit and went downstairs to claim the pizza as our own.

                As we ate the pizza, I informed Srinidhi that the Mellow Mushroom pizzeria was very close to my house and had delicious pizza.  Srinidhi enjoyed the pizza and wanted to tell his parents about it.  For reasons unknown to me, Srinidhi took an interest in the website URL on the side of the box.  After dinner, we raced upstairs to get ready for bed.  When I entered my room, I remembered that my Lego Mindstorms EV3 was out of battery power, and thought that Srinidhi would probably like to command it via remote control.  I told him that we could play with it in the morning and gave it to my dad, so he could replace the batteries.  His only condition was that we go to bed immediately after he turned off the lights.

                We got ready for bed quickly, but had trouble going to sleep.  Luckily, I had an unfinished mad libs book, a dim light source and a pen.  I collected the materials, and we had a wild and crazy night, filled with funny stories and whatnot.  Eventually, we fell asleep. 

                Srinidhi woke up before me.  When I had awakened from my “mini-hibernation”, we went downstairs.  Breakfast was pancakes.  When we were done, we started watching “Doctor who” episodes.  In the middle of one, Srinidhi’s dad came and picked him up.  I sadly waved goodbye; it had been a wonderful time.

3 Responses to “A Sleepover With Srinidhi”

  1. We'll have to have Srinidhi over again for The Sleepover: Part Two, don't you think? Find out when he is leaving for the summer.

  2. Stacey says:

    Sounds just like when your mum used to sleep at my house (minus the legos). Lovely writing, Anders!

  3. Grampa says:

    What a great story! I just love reading them because you use such interestinga language. For example "... we giddily discussed ..." or "... creating the illusion of time sliding away from our abysmally futile, grasping hands, as if encased in a thick coating of oil. " or "... The day was gone as fast as a single, glistening, and awe-inspiring bolt of lightning vanishes after causing its fiery onslaught of damage, as if afraid of what it caused." or "... to claim the pizza as our own." Word choices like that are fun to read. I love it! Keep writing - you have a gift!

Your Reply

Go on, leave a comment! It's not going to hurt you!!